Finding the best 4K camera for filmmaking means being clear concerning the kind of movie you wish to shoot. It is a very wide field with many various kinds of users.
That is why we’ve split our guide into three sections, for three various kinds of user:
• 4K digital cameras for photographers: A lot of stills photographers have finally moved into a movie, and could often need exactly the same program for both forms of function. We’ve picked cameras which are good at both.
• 4K digital cameras for vloggers: Vloggers and independent content material creators now constitute a very significant portion of the market. We’ve another guide to the very best cameras for vlogging, but we’ve included a few examples here.
• 4K cine cameras: They are cameras aimed at expert filmmakers and, once again, we do possess another guide to the very best cinema cameras, but we’ve integrated a few interesting cameras because of this roundup.
The very best camera phones already shoot 4K, needless to say, as do most of the best point and shoot cameras. But they are fixed lens gadgets with little sensors, which limitations their versatility and functionality. There are plenty of nuances to capturing excellent quality video beyond basic resolution, which requires features and handles you will only get on cameras created for serious 4K filmmaking.
Which is where the video marketplace is seeing a few of the biggest adjustments. Mirrorless cameras are needs to mount a significant challenge to expert cinema cameras, brought by the effective Panasonic Lumix S1H, and the even more adventurous camera manufacturers are tinkering with new forms of capture device – we have been, of course, discussing the tiny and instead likable Sigma fp.
The truly big news, however, maybe the Canon EOS R5, a 45MP stills camera that may also shoot 8K video. Yes, you read that right – 8K. The R5 is not without issues, including overheating worries that have dented its appeal for many pro videographers, so while it’s a spectacular leap forward on paper, the EOS R5 is not quite the ultimate stills/video camera.
Until then, there’s also the incredibly well-sorted Sony A7S III. This is the opposite of the Canon in terms of specs. Its resolution is capped at 4K, and it can only shoot 12MP stills, but Sony has produced the best 4K mirrorless video camera on the market. The EOS R5 might hint at what’s coming tomorrow, however, the Sony A7S III really excels at what filmmakers want today.
10 Best 4K Cameras for Filmmaking in 2021
1. Fujifilm X-T4 Mirrorless Camera
$1,563.95 in stock
3 used from $1,563.95
- Putting stability in your hands: A huge part of creating great photos or videos is making sure you are in the right place at the right time – and that often means making handheld images to get to the heart of the action. X-T4’s state-of-the-art, five-axis In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) provides up to 6.5 stops of image stabilization to make sure that, even in the midst of all the excitement, your images remain steady and sharp. Combine this with the new four-axis digital image stabilizer, and you have lots of room to maneuver.
- Performance you can rely on: For any serious image maker, having a tool that can be relied upon to perform flawlessly whenever it is required is extremely important. For this reason, X-T4 features a newly developed mechanical shutter that is the fastest and most robust in the history of the X series. Not only can it make images at 15 frames per second, but it is also rated for 300,000 actuations 2. When you combine this with its larger capacity battery that is capable of up to 600 frames per charge 2, X-T4 has the power and the durability to give you the peace of mind that you’ll never miss the perfect opportunity.
- Find the best angle for your story: When chasing the perfect image, versatility is key, so the last thing you want is to be hampered by awkward angles. The 1.62 million pixel vari-angle touchscreen LCD featured on X-T4 can be adjusted to make it visible from a wide range of positions. This not only gives you a high-quality monitor to frame with, but also provides quick and simple controls when you need them most. On the flip side, there are times when you need to minimize the light and distractions that a screen can create. That’s why X-T4’s LCD has been designed to easily fold away so it is completely hidden from view, leaving the updated 3.69 million pixel/100fps electronic viewfinder to help you focus on the moment at hand.
- When your story needs movement: The modern image maker is blurring the lines between photography and videography, and X-T4 has been designed to celebrate this new generation of hybrid creativity. With the simple flick of a switch, movie mode is activated, meaning X-T4 is capable of recording both professional-level DCI 4K/60p and Full HD/240p super slow-motion video. It is also possible to record F-Log footage in 10-bit color, straight to the card. What’s more, the innovative AF-C subject tracking works in low-light conditions down to -6EV and the camera’s use of a new, high capacity battery lets you push your creative limits.
- Powerful image manipulation made easy: For over 85 years, Fujifilm has produced photographic films that have been used by some of the world’s best-known moviemakers to create some of the world’s most successful movies. This legendary reputation in color science is celebrated with their hugely popular selection of Film Simulations, which digitize some of the industry’s most iconic films and puts them right at your fingertips. X-T4 introduces Eterna Bleach Bypass, the newest addition to this much-loved collection of film simulation modes available in the X Series product line, which creates a beautiful de-saturated, high-contrast look that any image-maker will find irresistible.
2. Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
5 used from $3,787.31
- High Image Quality featuring a New 45 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor.
- DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-51200; Expandable to 102400x1.
- High-speed continuous shooting of up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter and up to 20 fps electronic (silent) shutter.
- Dual pixel CMOS AF covering approx. 100% area with 1,053 AF areas.
- Subject tracking of people and animals using deep learning technology.
3. Sony NEW Alpha 7S III Full-frame Mirrorless Camera
3 used from $3,649.95
- 12.1MP1 Exmor R sensor, optimized for 4K, sensitivity and speed
- New BIONZ XR processing engine delivers 8x more processing power2
- Low noise images w/ ISO up to 409,6003 and 15+stop dynamic range4
- Up to 4K 120p5 10-bit 4:2:2 and full pixel readout in all rec. modes
- Up to 4K 120p5 in XAVC S (AVC), XAVC HS (HEVC) and XAVC S-I (All-I)
4. PANASONIC LUMIX S1H Digital Mirrorless Video Camera
$3,697.99 in stock
3 used from $3,195.00
- Newly designed full frame sensor – 24 2MP full-frame MOS sensor offers a wide dynamic range and sharp natural expression at high sensitivity settings
- 6K 10-BIT VIDEO – Includes full-area 3 2 6K24p C4K(4 096 x 2 160) and anamorphic modes
- Dual native ISO – offers the advantages of very high sensitivity for low-light shoots while suppressing noise levels allowing the camera to switch from a standard sensitivity to a higher sensitivity with almost no noise degradation
- V-log/v-gamut – features a wider 14+ Stops of dynamic range which are compatible with the Cinema VariCam look to capture everything from shadows to highlights
- Rugged Mirrorless camera design – dust/splash/freeze-resistant design withstands heavy field use under harsh conditions for high mobility
5. Nikon Z6 FX-Format Mirrorless Camera
8 used from $1,699.00
- New larger Z mount for revolutionary optical performance
- Nikon designed 24.5mp backside illuminated image sensor
- 273 point on sensor phase detect AF system
- Up to 12 fps; 4k ultra hd video; 8k time lapse; 120/1080p slow motion
- Compatible with new z Nikkor lenses, over 360 f mount Nikkor lenses
6. Sony a7 III ILCE7M3/B Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
24 used from $1,499.99
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI full frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed
- 15 stop dynamic range, 14 bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800. Compatible with Sony E mount lenses. Can be connected via Bluetooth with smartphones featuring (as of the date of release)- Android (Android 5.0 or later, Bluetooth 4.0 or later), iOS (Bluetooth 4.0 or later)
- Up to 10fps silent or mechanical shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery life (Still Images): Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), battery life (Movie, continuous recording): Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93 percent image coverage. Focus sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
- In the box: Rechargeable battery (NP FZ100), AC adapter (AC UUD12), shoulder strap, body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable. Metering type: 1200 zone evaluative metering
7. Sigma fp Mirrorless Full-Frame Digital Camera
3 used from $1,899.99
- World's smallest and lightest full-frame camera; Back-illuminated 35mm full-frame image sensor with 24.6 effective megapixels
- Robust & lightweight aluminum body; Dust- and- splash-proof structure
- Supports UHD 4K/24, 25 & 30 fps; Supports 12-bit Cinema DNG
- Full-time electronic shutter; Continuous shooting up 18 FPS
- Face/Eye Detection AF; HDR Shooting
8. Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III Black Camera
3 used from $1,499.99
- Multi-selector (Joystick) for quick selection of the AF area while looking through viewfinder
- Dust proof/Slash proof/Freeze proof magnesium alloy weather sealed construction
- 50MP handheld high resolution shot
- 60 FPS (S-AF), 18 fps (C-AF tracking) continuous shooting with the silent electronic shutter
- 121 point all cross type on chip phase detection plus contrast detection AF
9. Panasonic Lumix G100 4k Camera, Mirrorless Camera
- Feature-Packed Camera: Why trust your memories to a phone? With exceptional performance and versatility, the LUMIX G100 captures life in crystal-clear 4K photo, 4K 24p 30p video, and advanced audio
- Grows as Your Skills Grow: iA (intelligent auto) mode gives the perfect shot every time, or use manual modes as your skills sharpen; Micro Four Thirds system is compatible with all LUMIX lenses for any adventure; 12-32mm lens included
- Use as a Webcam: Easily connect the G100 to your computer so that your web calls, livestreams, interviews, and media all look crisp, bright, and professional
- Shoot, Transfer, Edit, Share: Features guide you at every step—frame marker for social media aspect ratios; facial recognition; blur-free dual image stabilization and V-Log L recording. Upload to smartphone seamlessly
- Advanced 360-Degree Sound: High-performance microphone with tracking audio auto-adjusts to record clearly inside or outside, in crowds, one-on-ones, nature, and more; lightweight camera for one-handed recording
10. Sony Alpha A6600 Mirrorless Camera
7 used from $1,319.63
- World’s fastest AF at 0 02 sec W/ real-time AF & Object tracking
- 24 2MP APS-C Exmor sensor w/ front end LSI and ISO up to 102 400
- Wide 425-phase/425-contrast detection AF points over 84% of sensor
- Up to 11fps continuous shooting at 24 2MP RAW w/ AF/AE tracking
- Real-time AF Tracking Real-time Eye AF for human animal movie
11. Olympus PEN E-PL9 Kit with 14-42mm EZ Lens
$520.00 in stock
2 used from $520.00
- Kit contains the E-PL9 camera, 14-42mm EZ Lens, Pen camera case, Special camera strap, and 16GB SD card
- TruePic VIII Image Processor
- 3" 180 Degree Flip down touch screen
- In-body 3-axis image stabilization
- 4K video & still image capture from 4K video
12. Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
6 used from $1,640.68
- Effective sensor size 23 10 x 12 99 millimeter (super 35)
- Shooting resolutions 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps/ 6144 x 2560 (6K 2 4 1) up to 60 fps/ 5744 x 3024 (5 7K 17 9) up to 60 fps/ 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps/ 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) Up To 60 fps/ 3728 x 3104 (3 7K 6 5 anamorphic) up to 60 fps/ 2868 x 1512 (2 8K 17 9) up to 120 fps/ 1920 x 1080 (HD) Up To 120 fps
- Maximum sensor frame rate Dependent on resolution and codec selected Project frame rates of 23 98 24 25 29 97 30 50 59 94 and 60 FPS supported off-speed frame rates up to 60 fps in 6K 2 4 1 120 fps in 2 8K 17 9 and 1080H
- Video inputs None/ video outputs 1x HDMI type a
- Active EF mount lens not included
13. Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Camcorder
1 used from $8,999.99
- Super 35mm CMOS Sensor 4K,1920x1080 60/50i, 23.98/25p True 24p
- Canon XF AVC H.264 Codec EF Lens Mount
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Technology Rotating 4" LCD Monitor
- 2 x 3G-SDI Output, 2x XLR Inputs 2 x CFast Card Slots
- Timecode I/O, Genlock In & Sync Out Canon Log 3 Gamma