Well-liked by professional photographers all over the world, the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom has turned into a ‘must-have’ lens.
It combines good telephoto reach with an easy and constant aperture, perfect not merely for freezing the activity with quick shutter speeds, also for giving a good depth of industry. Supremely versatile, this course of the telephoto zoom lens is often used for shooting everything from sports and wildlife to portraiture, along with wedding and event photography.
The 70-200mm f/2.8 is a mainstay of the lens line-up for every manufacturer of full-frame cameras, including Canon, Nikon and Sony. The serious competition also comes from independent lens manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron, keen to get in on the actions.
You can also use a 70-200mm lens on APS-C format bodies. The effective zoom range gets bumped up to 105-300mm (112-320mm for Canon) – great if you need more zoom reach, with the added benefit of pro-grade development, handling and optical overall performance.
The only real downside to 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses is their size and weight. They’re not unduly heavy, typically weighing in at around 1.5kg, but if you’re already carrying a full-frame DSLR and 24-70mm f/2.8 lens in your camera bag, along with a few other camera accessories, the weight can soon mount up.
Many manufacturers, therefore, offer a 70-200mm f/4 alternative. Naturally, these lenses are an f/quit ‘slower’, so you can’t maintain such fast shutter speeds or gain quite such a tight depth of field, but they’re noticeably smaller and tend to be only about half the excess weight (and price), while usually maintaining excellent image quality.
Let’s take a look at the best 70-200mm telephoto lenses for Canon and Nikon DSLRs, along with Sony FE-mount mirrorless cameras.
Best 70-200mm Telephoto Lenses
1. Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 Sports DG OS HSM for Canon Mount
$1,377.61 in stock
6 used from $1,099.00
- Incorporates 9 FLD and 1 SLD low-dispersion glass element
- Dust- and splash-proof structure
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm for ultra-smooth bokeh
- Magnesium alloy barrel
- The tripod socket with 90 click stops and Arca Swiss type clamp
2. Tamron A025C SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 for Canon
- Builds upon the success of the original and much acclaimed SP 70-200mm A009
- Features a Faster AF speed, enhanced Vibration Compensation, and better overall optical performance
- New 3-mode VC provides a 5-stop handling advantage for sharp images up to 5 shutter speeds lower
- Firmware and settings customisable via optional TAMRON TAP-in Console (available separately)
- 1 x 70-200mm G2 Lens, Lens Hood, Body cap, Lens cap, Instructions
3. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II USM Lens for Canon
5 used from $1,119.95
- Optical Image Stabilization at up to 5 Stops* of Shake Correction.
- One Fluorite Element and Two UD Elements for High Image Quality.
- Highly Resistant to Dust and Water, and Improved Durability Even in Harsh Conditions.
- Three Image Stabilization Modes for Outstanding Results. Other Accessories : optional A II (W II) tripod mount ring
- IS Mode 3 Effective When Tracking Moving Subjects and Assists When Panning**. Minimum Focusing Distance Shortened from 3.9 ft. to Approx. 3.3 ft. (1.2m to 1m). Optimized Lens Placement and Coatings Minimize Ghosting and Flare. Circular Aperture (9 blades) for Beautiful, Soft Backgrounds.
4. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens for Canon
12 used from $1,699.99
- Constant f/2.8 Maximum Aperture throughout Entire Zoom Range.
- Canon’s Air Sphere Coating (ASC) Minimizes Ghosting and Flare.
- Optical Image Stabilization at up to 3.5 Stops of Shake Correction.
- Fluorine Coating on Front and Rear Elements to Help Reduce Smears and Fingerprints.
- Highly Resistant to Dust and Water, and Improved Durability Even in Harsh Conditions. Inner Focusing System with Ring Ultrasonic Motor. Full-time Manual Focus. One Fluorite Element and Five UD Elements for High Image Quality. Minimum Focusing Distance of 3.9 ft./1.2m.Diagonal Angle of View: 34° - 12°
5. Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
1 used from $2,599.00
- High image quality and bright f/2. 8 aperture telephoto zoom RF L lens.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Optical image stabilization with up to 5 Stops* of shake correction
- High speed, smooth and quiet autofocus with dual Nano USM.
- Minimum focusing distance of 2. 3 ft. /0. 7M.
6. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Lens
12 used from $1,200.00
- Minimum Focus Distance- 3.6 feet (1.1 meter)
- Diaphragm blades: 9. Format: FX/35 millimeter. Minimum Aperture: f/ 22
- Focus distance indicator- 1.1 am to infinity
- Accepts Filter Type: Screw-on
- Compatible with new Z Nikkor lenses, over 360 F-mount Nikkor lenses and a variety of Nikon system Accessories
7. Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
40 used from $598.00
- Lightweight and portable at just 29.3 oz and a mere 7.0-in. long
- Focal Length Range : 70 -200 mm, Minimum Focus Distance : 3.28 ft.
- Optimized for capturing high-quality stills and HD videos on both FX- and DX-format cameras
- Nikon's high-performance f/4 fixed aperture zoom lens. Weight- Approx-30.0 pounds. 20 elements in 14 groups (including 3 ED lens elements, one HRI lens element and lens elements with Nano-Crystal coatings)
8. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon
23 used from $599.97
- Compact, lightweight G-type fast 2.9x telephoto zoom with Vibration Reduction
- VR operation offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 3 stops (eight times) faster
- Holds fast and constant f2.8 maximum aperture through the entire focal range
- Built-in Single Wave Motor for ultra-fast, ultra-quiet AF operation
- Five ED glass elements for higher optical performance
9. Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens
8 used from $2,145.00
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh, Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field.Weight 1480 g (without tripod mount)
- Class-leading min. focus distance of 37.8” / 0.25x max. mag, Dual floating focus system for high AF speed and precision, XA, ED/Super ED elements and Nano AR Coating for superb resolution
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for video, Direct coupled mechanical focus system for precise manual focus
- Rigid construction with constant lens length during focusing and zooming, High performance Optical Steady Shot Image stabilization, Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface precision
10. Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS Interchangeable Lens for Sony
12 used from $969.00
- Brand is Sony
- Minimum focus distance:1–1.5 m (AF)/1–1.35 m (MF) (3.28–4.93 ft [AF]/3.28–4.43 ft [MF]), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.13x, Focal-Length : 70–200 mm
- Interchangeable Lens