Finding the best budget telephoto-zoom lenses really can start your photography without having to be too tough on your own wallet. Once you’ve surely got to grips with your mirrorless camera or DSLR and bundled kit lens you’ll like find yourself wanting to expand your shooting options and give yourself the ability to capture distant, fast-moving subjects. But how to know which to choose? We’ve put together this guide to make it easier for you.
For many people new to digital photography, a telephoto zoom lens is the first lens they look to invest in after choosing their camera body and kit lens and it’s easy to see why. Allowing you to get very much closer to your subject matter and fill the framework, they’re great for a wide range of subjects, from tightly-cropped architecture and landscapes to striking wildlife and action photos.
While it’s possible to spend over five numbers on some high-end telephoto zoom lenses, there are some great budget telephoto zoom lenses out there as well.
You’ll find that many of the more affordable lenses on this list are designed specifically for APS-C camera bodies, which means they tend to be lighter and more compact than their full-frame counterparts. Pair one of these with an APS-C camera body and you may have a very neat system that can get you really close to the actions. It’s worth bearing in mind that some lenses though will still work on cameras with larger full-frame sensors and others won’t, so it’s always worth looking at the compatibility of a lens with your camera before buying.
We’ve included a range of lenses on this buying guideline to the best budget telephoto zoom lenses, some are manufacturers’ own, and others from third-party lens makers. In every case, we’re assured that the lenses we’ve included represent amazing value for money.
Best Budget Telephoto Lenses in 2021
1. Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens for Sony E-Mount Cameras (Black)
43 used from $165.99
- Wide zoom range (82 - 315mm 35mm equivalent) ideal for sports or nature;Aperture blades : 7
- Internal focusing for smooth, quiet operation - perfect for video capture.Direct manual focus with non-rotating focus ring during AF: ideal for precise, comfortable manual focus adjustments
- Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for stable video capture and low light performance
- Minimum Focus Distance - 3.28 ft, Maximum Magnification ratio - 0.23x
- Angle of view (on APS-C)-29 °–7 ° 40'
2. Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Lens for Sony E-Mount Cameras Silver (Renewed)
- This Certified Refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic box. Only select sellers who maintain a high performance bar may offer Certified Refurbished products on Amazon.com
- Provides a wide focal range of up to 315mm (35mm equivalent) ideal for sports or nature shooting
- Quiet Internal focusing makes smooth, responsive AF possible with minimum noise. Perfect for video capture
- Optical SteadyShotTM Image stabilization makes it easier to achieve crisp, stable images
- Optical SteadyShotTM Image stabilization makes it easier to achieve crisp, stable images and video in low-light or when zooming in on distant subjects
3. Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Lens for Sony E-Mount Cameras (Silver)
33 used from $148.00
- This version is originally intended for sale outside the US and may contain adapters, manuals, and warranties not compatible with US standards.