Today, we’ll take a look at flashguns for Canon cameras. I’ll walk you through the Canon flashgun range, from entry-level to high-end. I’ll highlight the greatest Canon camera flashes to buy based on the important aspects of each flashgun!
You’ll need a flashgun in your equipment bag as you refine your photographic styles and methods. When working with subjects in low-light circumstances, flashguns are a vital piece of equipment.
What exactly is a camera flash?
An external flash, often known as a flash unit or a flashgun, is a light accessory that works in tandem with your camera to generate a burst of light. You may attach the flash to the camera using either the hot shoe or a cable. They can also communicate wirelessly through infrared or radiofrequency.
In low-light circumstances, flash photography allows you to capture images. If your camera has a built-in flash, you may have noticed that it generates flat light and does not provide you total control. This is altered by the use of an external flash.
All external flashes enable you to swivel and rotate the flash head to aim light in various directions. You may also adjust the flash’s strength and zoom range for each shot you take.
Best Canon Camera Flashes
Here is a selection of the top Canon flash units. Each flash has been disassembled, displaying its size, weight, guide number (GN), rotating capabilities, and zoom range.
1. Canon Speedlite EL-1 (4571C002)
- maximum guide number of 197 ft./60m at iso 100 zoom flash head with wide range of 24-200mm.
- new rechargeable li-ion battery utilizing lc-e6 battery charger.
- improved recycling time (0.9 sec.) and number of flashes (335 times) .
- new active cooling system enabling longer operation and improved thermal management.
- more versatility with minimal power output range 1/8192.
2. Profoto A10 On/Off Camera Flash Kit
- A10 Off-Camera Flash - Connect Flash Trigger - Li-Ion Battery - Battery Charger - Dome Diffuser - Bounce Card - A1 Bag - Flash Stand - Profoto 2 Year Limited Warranty
- A10 Off-Camera Flash Features
- Round flash head design with for a natural light with smooth fall-off
- Compatible with all magnetic Profoto Clic Light Shaping Tools
- Compatibile with all Profoto Air, AirTTL and Connect triggers
3. Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT
$458.00 in stock
- Improved performance of continuous flash by approx. 1.1 to 1.5x for fast firing (up to 2.0x if used with optional Compact Battery Pack CP-E4N)
- Wireless flash shooting support is available for both radio and optical transmission, offering users greater functional range when using a flash
- Multiple flash system allows control of up to five groups of flashes;Approx. 100 to 700 flashes
- Power Source:Four AA size/LR6 alkaline or AA/HR6 Ni-MH batteries
4. Modus 600RT MK II Wireless Kit Canon
- Powered by an Extreme Li-Ion Battery
- Powered by an Extreme Li-Ion Battery Fast recycle time of 1.5 sec (4x faster than AA power) Up to 600 shots at full power
- Up to 1000 shots at 1/2 power Built-in 2.4GHz wireless receiver & transmitter Unique wireless connectivity
- High performance 60GN at ISO 100, 200mm TTL, Manual & Multi Modes Firmware update via integrated USB
- Quick-lock hot shoe Ultra-compact MD1 MK II USB powered charger
5. Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Bounce Flash
- KIT INCLUDES 4 PRODUCTS -- All BRAND NEW Items with all Manufacturer-supplied Accessories + Full USA Warranties:
-  Canon Speedlite 470EX-AI Bounce Flash +
-  Soft Box Flash Diffuser +
-  PD 6pc Complete Cleaning Kit +
-  LCD Screen Protectors
6. Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash
28 used from $159.99
- Compact body for space efficiency and style
- Zoom flash head covers a range of 24-105mm; maximum guide number 141ft./43m at ISO 100
- Convenient controls include a built-in Catch light Panel to help enhance the subject's facial expression, Dot-matrix LCD and Multi Dial that help provide smooth operation and use
- Recycling Time: Approx. 0.1 to 3.7 seconds (AA-size Alkaline Batteries)/0.1 to 2 seconds (AA-size Ni-MH batteries)
7. Canon Macro Twin Lite Mt-26EX-RT Camera Flash
2 used from $1,039.95
- Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...
- Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...
- Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...Features coming Soon...
8. Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite (Black)
$549.99 in stock
4 used from $554.95
- Twin-tube ring lite designed for close-up photography with EF Macro lenses
- Shorter recycling time and reduced size.Coverage: 80° Vertical & Horizontal
- Easy operation with illuminated dot-matrix LCD panel for easy flash settings in any lighting condition
- White LED focusing lamps and two forms of modeling flash permit preview of lighting effects
- Custom Functions: Twelve (in addition to any on camera) set on flash LCD, plus three Personal Functions
9. Yongnuo YN650EX-RF Wireless Flash Speedlite GN60
- 【GN60@ISO100 & 1/8000 HSS】 YN650EX-RF Flash Speedlite, GN60@ISO100, 200mm professional high index flash, 1/8000 High-speed Sync. with built-in Yongnuo 2.4G RF Radio System with transceiver, it has 16 channels, and it can easily realize wireless TTL, manual flash, stroboscopic flash and Gr multi-grouping mixed mode flash, it also supports flash exposure compensation, flash exposure lock, second curtain sync, modeling flash, etc, external power supply and firmware upgraded, etc.
- 【Equipped with LED Modeling Lights】YN650EX-RF Flash Lamp, Large-size LCD Negative Display Screen, which is equipped with unique oval lamp holder to create soft light, and it’s surrounded by 24 LED lamp beads, so that it is easy to achieve charming eye light and create a perfect light and shadow fusion effect.Moreover,the brightness can be adjusted by 100 gears,which is much more easier to control.
- 【Support C Series Optical Transmission Wireless Master Flash】Support C Series Optical Transmission Wireless Master Flash, in optical transmission wireless flash shooting, YN650EX-RF can be used as the master control unit to trigger YONGNUO and C brand EX series flashes (except for YN585EX/YN320EX), and there are 4 channels for choice.
- 【Support C and N Optical Transmission Wireless Slave Flash】Support C and N Optical Transmission Wireless Slave Flash, the same YN650EX-RF can receive the internal flash wireless signal from the master control unit YN650EX-RF,YN600EX-RT II, YN568EX II, 600EX(II)-RT, 580EX II, and C brand 7D/60D/600D or other camera, realizing off-camera TTL, manual flash, stroboscopic flash.
- 【Multiple Trigger Modes,Much More Flexible】YN650EX-RF has multiple Trigger modes, it can trigger through on-camera, wireless optical/radio off-camera and PC port synchronous trigger. It supports Lamp Head Electric Zoom Function, by operating the zoom and adjustment button on the flash,the focal length of the lamp can be covered between auto and 28～200mm, and the light is more uniform and effective.
10. Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon
1 used from $67.51
- Vertical Rotation Angle: 0~90 degrees, Horizontal Rotation Angle: 0~270 degrees; Note: Don't support TTL and the camera menu setting Function
- Compatible with for Canon Nikon Panasonic Olympus Pentax Fijifilm and Sony with Mi Hot Shoe cameras，like a9 a7 a7II a7III a7R III a7RII a7SII a6000 a6300 a6500 (NOT compatible with Canon EOS Rebel SL3/250D，Rebel T7/1500D 2000D，Rebel T100/3000D 4000D）
- Power Management: Switch to the ON, the flash will start charging (the charging indicator is dim)
- For a test flash, press the test button. After use, press the ON/OFF to OFF to power off.
- Red charging indicator lamp flickers in every 1s; it indicates low battery; The flash unit has 8 steps of power output control which indicated by 8 pieces of LED
11. Canon Speedlite EL-100
- Compact, versatile and easy-to-use Speedlite
- Horizontal and upward bounce rotation capability
- Maximum guide number of Approx. 85 ft./26M at ISO 100
- 24mm wide-angle coverage
- Optical wireless flash function (sender and receiver)
12. Canon 270EX II Speedlite Flash for Canon SLR Cameras
$99.98 in stock
- Ultra compact, ultra lightweight, high performance flash unit
- Vertical bounce capability up to 90 degrees provides a wide range of picture taking options
- Slave function allows the flash to be triggered wirelessly
- Flash coverage can be switched between Normal and Tele
- Includes soft case, mini stand and instruction book
Functions of an External Flash
Here are the key characteristics of camera flashes to consider while purchasing one.
Through the Lens (TTL) Metering
TTL metering is a method used by flash units to obtain exact exposure. It’s analogous to a camera’s automated mode, where the flash’s strength changes based on the camera’s exposure settings.
It will base its exposure settings on the camera’s metering mechanism and determine the distance to your subject. When capturing several subjects in a short period of time, TTL is a useful tool to have. It’s useful for event photos.
Some flashguns offer a zoom capability that allows the flash to adapt to the focal length of your lens. This computation will increase the efficiency of the flash’s power and the light falling on your subject.
To allow this, the flashgun’s internal structure will be altered. Depending on the distance, the beam will narrow or broaden, making the light more effective and efficient.
Radio Frequency (RF)
A good flashgun will often include a master and slave mode where they may link to the camera and each other to achieve wireless synchronization. Radio frequencies will be used by the best flashguns, offering a more flexible sync than infrared synchronizations.
In contrast to infrared, radio frequency (RF) allows you to set your flashgun behind objects or further away. Infrared flashguns must be close and visible to your camera or the master flash.
High-Speed Sync (HSS)
The best flashguns will feature an HSS option, which allows you to shoot at quicker shutter speeds. It normally has lower power, however, this setting allows you to capture faster-moving scenes or during the day with greater ease.
If you’ve ever used a flashgun, you’ve probably seen images where a piece of the image is completely black. This is because your shutter speed is quicker than the flash. HSS enables you to increase the shutter speed beyond what is normally possible.
Guide Number (GN)
The guide number of a flash may be used to calculate its power. This mathematical equation is used for each flash to determine the intensity of the light.
When shooting at ISO 100, the GN determines the aperture to utilize for a subject ten feet distant. It is the industry-standard test for various flashes, however, the GN equation may be used to properly estimate the right exposure.
After reviewing our list, you will be able to identify the finest Canon camera flashes for all levels of photographers. You’ll note that the features range from flash control to battery life. Consider the circumstances in which you will use your flash since this will help you decide which one is ideal for you.