There’s no challenge that can compare with shooting the stars, so in retrospect, you need the very best lenses for astrophotography! Without very much light to have fun with, photographing the night time sky is really a tricky matter even though you’re focusing on a beautifully apparent evening, as it isn’t just broad and expansive but additionally constantly moving. Don’t be prepared to get great outcomes if you just stage and shoot with a package lens!
So what produces a good zoom lens for shooting the Milky Way? Ideally, you will want wide-angle zoom or primary; it’s best to function in a focal selection of around 14-20mm in 35mm equivalent conditions (so about 10-14mm on APS-C or 7-10mm on Micro Four Thirds). But that is just half the story: additionally, you need a broad aperture for light-gathering reasons, as using too much an ISO placing will crank the grain up too much and render the celebrities illegible.
We’ve split our guidebook into sections to create it better to navigate. In the initial section, we’ve lenses that are broadly suitable across a variety of mounts, including not merely the Canon and Nikon heavyweights but additionally Pentax, Fujifilm, Micro Four Thirds and much more. Next, we have an area for lenses that are specifically designed to match Canon and Nikon DSLRs, as many manufacturers make some well-known lenses simply for these two mounts. From then on we’ve some mount-particular lenses for Canon, Nikon and Sony. Utilize the routing bar above to leap to a particular section.
10 Best Lenses for Astrophotography in 2021
1. Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens
- Nano Crystal Coating System (NCS) for increased light transmission and reduced internal reflections
- Fast F2.8 maximum Aperture + close-focusing to 9.5 inches = maximum versatility in all shooting conditions
- Optimized for excellent optical quality and true ultra-wide 110 degree edge to edge coverage with APS-C sensor digital cameras
- Utilizes 3 high precision (2 Aspherical + 1 ED) lens elements for superior image quality
- Inner focusing system (IF) - length doesn't change and front element does not rotate - keeps integrated petal-type lens hood properly oriented
2. Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art DG HSM Lens
9 used from $1,139.99
- Large diameter delivering f/1.8 brightness
- Beautiful bokeh effect, and outstanding control of light streaking
- Ultra-wide Angle of view
- Super multi-layer coating helps reduce flare and ghosting
- Large HSM (hyper-sonic motor) delivers ample torque to the focusing group for outstanding speed, ensuring exceptionally stable performance even at lower speeds
3. Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone Lens
1 used from $499.99
- IRIX 15 mm f2.4 wide-angle lens with Canon EF bayonet suitable for full format for impressive landscape, travel and architectural photography, optimised focus ring
- Lightweight design ideal for travel photography, classic design meets perfect handling, lens suitable for sensors with 50+ megapixels of the latest DSLR cameras
- Engraved and people markings for optimal adjustment even in low light, Neutrinio coating, ghosting images for precise sharpness, focus range: 0.28 m, 9 rounded aperture rings.
- Splash-proof thanks to different rubber seals for all weather, filter window for optimal mounting of grey UV and polarising filters (size 95 mm) and a gelatin filter on the back.
- Box contents: 1 x Irix ultra-wide angle Blackstone 15 mm f2.4 lens for Canon EF (95 mm filter thread, for full format, luminous lettering, optimised focus ring)
4. Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon and Nikon
$798.54 in stock
10 used from $598.98
- Minimum focus distance of 7.1
- Carrying case, lens hood, front & rear caps
- Best optical preformance in its category
- Angle of view (35mm equivalent) :84.1°
5. Samyang SYXP14-C XP 14mm f/2.4 High Speed Wide Angle Lens for Canon and Nikon
- Aperture range: f/2.4 - f/22
- Angle of view of 114.12 Degree with minimum focus distance of 11.02" (28 cm)
- Magnification of 0.08x with 9 diaphragm blades
- Constructed with 18 elements in 14 groups
- Includes Lens Caps, Lens pouch, Instruction manual and 1 Year Warranty
6. Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 for Canon and Nikon
1 used from $1,119.00
- Super high-quality high-speed ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
- Lens has triple lens coatings consisting of the newly developed ax coating, plus band and bar coatings
- Dual MPU system for AF and VC
- Newly developed VC mechanism now reaches 4.5 Stops of image stabilization (CIPA-rated)
- Moisture-resistant construction
7. Tokina AT-X PRO DX for digital SLR 11-20mm f/2.8 Pro DX Lens for Canon and Nikon
11 used from $399.99
- F-Mount Lens/DX Format. 16.5-30mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22. P-MO & Glass-Molded Aspherical Elements
- Three SD Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements. Multi-Layer Lens Coatings
8. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED for Nikon
$895.00 in stock
17 used from $895.00
- Focal Length Range: 14 -24 millimeter
- Minimum focus distance 0.9 feet. (0.28 meter), minimum f/stop 22
- Lens construction 14/11 (2 ED glass elements, 3 aspherical lenses and 1 Nano Crystal Coat)
- Angle of View: 114° - 84°
9. Canon EF 16–35mm f/2.8L III USM Lens for Canon
16 used from $1,599.00
- High performance L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens with constant f/2.8 maximum aperture.
- All-new optical design for significant improvements in outer and corner sharpness.
- Sub wave length Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC) help to significantly reduce flare and ghosting.
- Highly resistant to dust and water intrusion, enabling shooting even in harsh conditions.
- Circular aperture (9 blades) helps deliver beautiful, soft backgrounds. Not an Extender Compatiblity. Magnification with Extension Tube EF12 II- 0.65 at Tele (Not compatible at Wide). Magnification with Extension Tube EF25 II- 1.14 at Tele (Not compatible at Wide).Lens Construction:16 elements in 12 groups.Filter Size: 82 millimeter, P=0.75 millimeter/1 filter
10. Tokina FIRIN 20mm F2 AF for Sony FE Mount
- Excellent sharpness & resolution across the frame