We all like to travel.
So when we’re not really traveling (that is almost all of us, at this time, sadly), we’re most likely dreaming concerning the next journey. And in amongst all that preparing, you might be taking into consideration the best digital camera kit to get. We’ve already got helpful information to the very best cameras for vacation, but if you’ve obtained a DSLR or perhaps a mirrorless camera, you have to work out what lenses to get too. Which is where the superzoom lens makes its own. They are lenses with extra-lengthy zoom ranges that the work of a standard contact lens and a telephoto zoom mixed.
When deciding on a superzoom zoom lens, it’s tempting to choose the largest zoom range you can find your hands on. Apparent contenders are the Nikon AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR, Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C and both of Tamron’s 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro and 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD lenses, which give class-top wide-angle and telephoto focal lengths respectively. However, most of these lenses are usually quite big and weighty. They’re usually more convenient and much less heavy than a mix of regular and telephoto zoom lenses but, when you wish to visit light or continue walkabout, it’s nicer to possess something smaller and much more light-weight dangling off your digital camera strap.
Taking into consideration the 1.5x crop element of all APS-C cameras (1.6x for Canon), a zoom selection of around 18-200mm is generally more ideal. This gives you similar wide-angle coverage as from a standard zoom while stretching your telephoto reach to 300mm in full-frame terms (320mm for Canon). Overall, you’ll get a really generous zoom range in a compact package. Choices are more limited for Canon and Nikon full-frame SLRs. Canon’s EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM is a pricey heavyweight, while Nikon’s AF-S 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR only delivers mediocre image quality. However, both companies have developed attractive and travel-friendly superzooms for their recent mirrorless full-frame cameras.
Is a superzoom the only lens you will need? If you like cities, architecture and culture, we’d suggest having a look at the best ultra-wide lenses too.
Ultra-wide shots aside, though, a superzoom should be able to take care of every other kind of subject. Let’s take a closer look at the best buys for a whole host of different camera brands. Remember, we’re choosing the best lenses for travel, so we’re not just looking at outright zoom range, but at portability, weight and performance too.
10 Best Lenses for Travel Photography in 2021
1. Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Contemporary DC Macro OS HSM Lens
17 used from $219.00
- The Sigma 18-200mm lens was designed for APS-C sensors and features a new matte black finish, thermally stable composite material in its construction and smaller and lighter design then previous models
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 39 cm / 15.4 in
- Having the ability to shoot from wide angle to telephoto is highly useful particularly for travel photography, landscape photography, street photography, portrait photography and nature photography.
- A Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) ensures quiet, accurate and fast autofocus and an optical Stabilizer (OS) helps compensate for camera shake. Make this lens your all-in-one lens to handle any shooting scenario.
2. Canon EF 24-105MM 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM,
7 used from $388.00
- EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
3. CANON Lens RF24-240mm F4-6.3 is USM
5 used from $768.99
- Compact, Lightweight 10x Zoom RF Lens
- High Image Quality and Bright f/4-6. 3 Lens Aperture
- Optical Image Stabilization with up to 5 Stops on Shake Correction
- High Speed, Smooth and Quiet Auto Focus with Nano USM
- First Canon Lens with Dynamic IS for Full-frame Cameras
4. AF-S DX Nkr 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR II
34 used from $199.00
- One-lens solution adept in a wide variety of situations
- Focal length range: 18 -200 millimeter, minimum focus distance: 1.6 feet.
- Two extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements; Three aspherical lens elements
- Exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM), Nikon VR II (vibration reduction) image stabilization
- Focus to 20 inches for extended versatility, filter thread: 72 millimeter. Maximum angle of view (dx-format) 76°. Minimum angle of view (DX-format) 8°. Accepts filter type: Screw-on
5. Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Zoom Lens
40 used from $375.00
- Compact and versatile 5x standard zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.24x.Focal Length Range : 24 to 120 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance : 15 feet ( 045 meter)
- Extended range on Nikon DX format DSLR cameras
- Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization, Nano Crystal Coat
- 2 Extra low Dispersion (ED) Elements; 3 Aspherical Lens Elements.Mount Type: Nikon F Bayonet
6. NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR
2 used from $984.95
- Lens features Nikon technologies including Aspherical Lens Elements, ED Glass Elements, ARNEO Coat and Fluorine Coat
- Lens features built-in Vibration Reduction image stabilization
- The customizable, clickless control ring offers quick and quiet access to most used camera settings
- Image Stabilization: Optical
- Mounting Type: Nikon Z
7. Fujifilm XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Lens
1 used from $699.99
- Fujifilm X-Mount
- 27-206mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/3.5-5.6 to f/22
- Four Aspherical and Two ED Elements
8. Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm Telephoto Zoom Lens
1 used from $778.00
- Upgraded 14-140mm Lens – the LUMIX g Vario h-fsa14140 is an upgraded version of the LUMIX h-fs14140ak 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 (10x) telephoto zoom lens
- Micro four-thirds mount – durable metal MFT mount is compatible with Micro Four Thirds mount cameras, including Lumix g Mirrorless Digital Cameras
- Rugged lens design - durable splash*/dust-resistant construction ideal for heavy field use, while maintaining its stylishly compact and lightweight profile
- Power O.I.S. - Optical image Stabilizer quickly and effectively compensates for small, fast movements even in low-lit situations
- Quality optics - comprised of 14 elements in 12 groups, This lens features three aspherical lenses and two ED (extra-low dispersion) lenses, while efficiently minimizing distortion and chromatic aberration
9. Tamron 18-200mm Di III VC for Sony Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens
7 used from $379.98
- Compact and light weight for easy shooting
- Stylish premium grade exterior design
- VC anti-shake mechanism for steady shooting
- Special glass elements used to correct aberrations
- 28-300mm 35mm-equivalent focal length
10. Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens
$948.00 in stock
15 used from $615.99
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, 10x magnification with a wide 24mm to super tele 240mm, Optical Steady Shot image stabilization for handheld shooting
- Minimum Focus Distance : 1.64 ft-2.63 ft (0.5 m-0.8 m), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.27x, Focal-Length : 24-240 mm. Filter Diameter - 72 mm.
- Corner to corner sharpness from 5 Spherical elements, ED glass element reduces flare and ghosting, 7-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Fast focus w/ a linear motor drive and an inner focus mechanism, Dust and moisture resistant design