Finding the right microphone for vlogging and filmmaking can be daunting, especially for beginners, so we’ve created this lead to help you choose the best camera mic for your needs.
Why is this important? Vloggers and videographers quickly learn that an in-camera microphone just doesn’t provide the audio quality or directionality needed. If you need to control what your target audience hears and suppress ambient and background noise, you need an external microphone for your camera or smartphone. There’s no point in investing in the best 4K cameras for filmmaking or even the best cameras for vlogging without a proper microphone.
A wireless microphone is fantastic for fuss-free interviews and presenting to camera, and these are sold with lavalier microphones – they clip to your clothing and use radio frequencies to transmit to a receiver on the camera. To keep things simple, you may get cheaper wired lavalier microphones too. You have to hook up a wired mic with a fine cable and the person presenting has to be closer to the camera, but these wired tie-clip microphones can be the best mic for vlogging – you’re usually holding the camera at arm’s length, so a mic cable will easily be long enough.
Alternatively, you can mount a shotgun microphone about the camera (or about a rig alongside the camera). A shotgun mic will be directional (or includes a ‘cardioid’ industry, in technical conditions). This implies it records the audio from whatever it’s pointed at. If you cannot pin a mic to your issue, this is actually the next most sensible thing – and way much better than the omnidirectional microphones included in cameras.
So we’ve got another section specialized in camera-mounted shotgun mics. These may be used as DSLR microphones or mirrorless digital camera mics – there is no distinction in microphone conditions.
The main element point with video is by using an external microphone as opposed to the camera’s in-built mic. This simple phrase will dramatically enhance your audio high quality. The mics included in DSLRs, camcorders and mirrorless digital cameras have become basic and only made as a fallback alternative for audio documenting. Because they’re located within the digital camera body, they grab all of the whirrs and clicks of autofocus techniques and record all of the handling sounds as you press control keys, adjust settings, or shift the camera. Also, the very best 4K cameras reap the benefits of an external mic.
10 Best Microphones for Vlogging in 2020
1. Rode Wireless Go - Compact Wireless Microphone System, Transmitter and Receiver
1 used from $389.95
- Combo clip-on microphone or beltpack transmitter for lavalier/headset mic/ built-in omnidirectional condenser mic for broadcast-quality sound
- Audio delivers crystal clear audio under any conditions/ up to 70M range but optimized for shorter-range operation
- Power TX and RX have built-in USB-C rechargeable batteries/ up to 7 hours on a full charge including a battery Saver mode
- Portable super-lightweight and ultra-compact
- Advanced the transmitter and receiver pair in just 3 seconds/ 3-stage output pad 0 -6dB and -12dB/ use up to 8 systems in one location
2. Rode RodeLink FM Digital Wireless Filmmaker System
2 used from $379.00
- Amazon as the seller is the ONLY authorized Fulfilled by Amazon Dealer, and purchases from unauthorized dealers carry No Warranty
- Provides everything you need to start shooting video wirelessly, including a receiver, transmitter and broadcast-grade lavalier microphone
- Able to constantly monitor and hop between frequencies to maintain the strongest possible signal level at a range of up to 100 meters
- The receiver features an OLED display with information on level, battery status (receiver and transmitter), mute and channel selection
- Can be mounted on a standard camera shoe mount, 3/8" thread or belt-clip, and the shoe mount can be located in one of two positions
3. Saramonic Blink 500 Ultracompact 2.4GHz Dual-Channel Wireless Microphone
- Saramonic blink500 tx+tx+rx is a East to use wireless microphone system that can work well with DSLR, mirrorless, video camera, mobile phones etc
- Light-weight and ultra-compact, just clip it to your collar directly for two-person interviewing.
- Adjustable three level sound volume. Adjust the Audio level by +&- button
- With built-in mic and battery, It can work last 6 hours.
- Saramonic Warranty: 12 months Product warranty and post-sales service, If you are not satisfied with our product, please contact us
4. INSTAMIC PRO | Wearable Wireless Waterproof Audio Recorder
- RECORDS 48 / 96kHz 24 bit wav files in Mono, Dual-Mono to the 8Gbs internal storage (14hrs recording time).
- REMOTE CONTROL up to 10 Instamic with one mobile device (iOS or Android)
- LIVE STREAM the audio from Instamic to any app that the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (iOS, Android, macOS, Windows compatible - 16kHz)
- MONITOR in real-time the audio from Instamic and have the take saved to your mobile device.
- MOUNT Instamic anywhere you want with the Velcro, Tape or Magnetic Clips (included), even UNDERWATER.
5. BOYA BY-M1 3.5mm Electret Condenser Microphone
$16.55 in stock
2 used from $17.83
- Clip-On Mic for Smartphones, DSLR, Camcorders, Audio recorders, PC etc
- Omni directional condenser microphone
- High-quality condenser is ideal for video use
- Low handling noise
- Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable
6. Rode Lavalier GO Professional-Grade Wearable Microphone
- ENSURE YOU BUY GENUINE RØDE PRODUCTS! Products from sellers which say ‘fulfilled by ’ under the price are NOT authorized resellers, and may not be selling genuine product
- Buy only from (labelled ‘shipped and sold by ’)
- A professional-grade wearable microphone designed to perform excellently in any broadcast application
- The 3. 5mm TRS connector pairs perfectly with the RØDE Wireless GO and most recording devices with a 3. 5mm TRS microphone input
- Features a discreet 4. 5mm omnidirectional microphone that delivers crystal clear audio in all environments and is incredibly forgiving when it comes to placement on talent
7. Audio-Technica ATR3350xiS Omni Condenser Microphone (ATR Series)
- Newscaster-style miniature mic is perfect for video use. In-line battery pack with On/Off switch provides convenient control
- Dual-mono 3. 5 mm (1/8") output Plug connects to a video camera, DSLR, or handheld audio recorder's stereo 3. 5 mm (1/8") input, to record audio on both left and right channels
- Omnidirectional pickup pattern offers full coverage
- Includes mic/headphone adapter for use with tablets, computers, and smartphones that accommodate a 3. 5 mm (1/8") headset connection
- Clothing clip, LR44 battery, foam windscreen included
8. Rode VideoMic GO Light Weight On-Camera Microphone
9 used from $82.99
- Delivers clear, crisp, directional audio with incredible ease of use
- Rode designed the VideoMic GO with a tight pickup area that focuses directly in front of the mic
- Reduces other surrounding sounds, ensuring that your subject is isolated from background noise
- The integrated Rycote Lyre shock mount isolates the VideoMic GO from bumps and vibrations
- No complicated switches or settings and is powered by your camera's external microphone input, requi
9. Rode VideoMic Pro+ Compact Directional On-Camera Shotgun Condenser Microphone
- Still with the best-in-class Rycote Lyre suspension system onboard, the VideoMic Pro+ improves on the existing VideoMic Pro capsule/line tube and windshield, plus boasts a host of new features.
- Automatic Power Function (with plug-in power availability) is perfect for the run-and-gun shooter, automatically turning the microphone off when unplugged from the camera.
- Built-in Battery Door makes replacing the battery a breeze - plus it won't get lost.
- Power options the VideoMic Pro+ can be powered by the all-new and included RØDE LB-1 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery, 2 x AA Batteries or continuously via Micro USB.
- Digital Switching - will ensure the user has ultimate capture of the audio signal at the source, reducing post production and editing times.
10. JOBY Wavo Mobile Compact On-Camera Microphone
1 used from $33.04
- IMPROVE YOUR SOUND: Raise the quality of your videos with a lightweight microphone ideal for smartphones or mirrorless cameras
- QUICK AND EASY: Ready in seconds, just connect Wavo Mobile to your device and you're good to go. You'll get the perfect audio for your vlog or live streaming on YouTube
- CLEAR SOUND: Rycote shock mount technology delivers the clearest sound, and dampens unwanted noise from movement; Deadcat also included
- VERSATILE: Includes TRS cable for camera and TRRS cable for smartphone - choose your perfect device, get creating and share your content on your vlog, blog, on YouTube or Instagram
- UNIVERSAL AND SECURE: Features a standard cold shoe mount for easy and quick placement - just slide it through and rotate clockwise till firmly locked