Finding the right microphone for vlogging and filmmaking can be daunting, especially for beginners, so we’ve created this lead to help you choose the best camera mic for your needs.
Why is this important? Vloggers and videographers quickly learn that an in-camera microphone just doesn’t provide the audio quality or directionality needed. If you need to control what your target audience hears and suppress ambient and background noise, you need an external microphone for your camera or smartphone. There’s no point in investing in the best 4K cameras for filmmaking or even the best cameras for vlogging without a proper microphone.
A wireless microphone is fantastic for fuss-free interviews and presenting to camera, and these are sold with lavalier microphones – they clip to your clothing and use radio frequencies to transmit to a receiver on the camera. To keep things simple, you may get cheaper wired lavalier microphones too. You have to hook up a wired mic with a fine cable and the person presenting has to be closer to the camera, but these wired tie-clip microphones can be the best mic for vlogging – you’re usually holding the camera at arm’s length, so a mic cable will easily be long enough.
Alternatively, you can mount a shotgun microphone about the camera (or about a rig alongside the camera). A shotgun mic will be directional (or includes a ‘cardioid’ industry, in technical conditions). This implies it records the audio from whatever it’s pointed at. If you cannot pin a mic to your issue, this is actually the next most sensible thing – and way much better than the omnidirectional microphones included in cameras.
So we’ve got another section specialized in camera-mounted shotgun mics. These may be used as DSLR microphones or mirrorless digital camera mics – there is no distinction in microphone conditions.
The main element point with video is by using an external microphone as opposed to the camera’s in-built mic. This simple phrase will dramatically enhance your audio high quality. The mics included in DSLRs, camcorders and mirrorless digital cameras have become basic and only made as a fallback alternative for audio documenting. Because they’re located within the digital camera body, they grab all of the whirrs and clicks of autofocus techniques and record all of the handling sounds as you press control keys, adjust settings, or shift the camera. Also, the very best 4K cameras reap the benefits of an external mic.
10 Best Microphones for Vlogging in 2021
1. Rode VideoMicPro Compact Directional On-Camera Microphone
The Rode VideoMic Pro R is one of the best shotgun mics for vlogging.
The Rode VideoMic Pro R is designed to be lightweight and compact, featuring an integrated foam windshield and shock mounting. The VideoMic Pro R features a brand-new condenser capsule that records broadcast-quality audio over a standard 3.5mm microphone input. The microphone employs a super-cardioid pattern, which reduces undesirable background noise from the side and rear of the camera while focusing on the topic in front of the camera.
It also contains a high pass filter to reduce low-frequency background noise from traffic or air conditioners, as well as level attenuation controls for very quiet or very powerful sound sources. The integrated shock mounting and foam windscreen help to reduce unwanted noise caused by shocks, vibrations, or wind. The microphone also comes with a ten-year warranty.
A single 9V battery powers the VideoMic Pro, which can record for up to 70 hours. Because the battery is long-lasting, you won’t need a spare but have your charger on hand just in case.
Rode VideoMicPro Compact Directional On-Camera Microphone
8 used from $130.23
- A true shotgun microphone designed for camcorders, DSLR cameras and portable audio recorders as primary and reference audio
- The 1/2" condenser capsule provides broadcast-quality audio via a 3.5mm connector with an incredibly low self-noise of just 14db
- The Rycote Lyre based shock mounting system provides isolation from external factors that may cause unwanted rumble and vibrations
2. Rode VideoMic GO Lightweight On-Camera Microphone
The Rode VideoMic boasts an appealing design that includes windshield protection and ABS construction.
The inbuilt shock mount protects your microphone from vibrations and shocks that could disrupt your recording. Unlike typical elastic solutions, the shock mount is made of a single piece of hard-wearing thermoplastic that does not wear out.
This microphone has been specifically intended to be user-friendly for inexperienced users. It is powered by your camera, so no batteries are required, and it does not have any sophisticated settings or switches.
Simply put in your microphone and begin vlogging without worrying about batteries or audio settings!
Rode VideoMic GO Lightweight On-Camera Microphone
3 used from $70.85
- Delivers clear, crisp, directional audio with incredible ease of use
- Rode designed the videomic go with a tight pickup area that focuses directly in front of the mic
- Reduces other surrounding sounds, ensuring that your subject is isolated from background noise
- The integrated Rycote lyre shock mount isolates the video mic go from bumps and vibrations
- No complicated switches or settings and is powered by your camera's external microphone input, required
3. Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone Omnidirectional Mic
The PowerDeWise Lavalier microphone includes a 3.5mm microphone connection, so you can quickly put it into your camera, laptop, phone (Android and iOS), or audio recorder and start recording. The microphone features a 59′′ (1.5m) chord and a 78′′ (2m) extension cord to provide you additional freedom of movement.
Many of the benefits of a wireless lavalier microphone can be obtained by connecting this to a dedicated sound recorder or a phone rather than your camera.
Don’t worry about the camera’s distance if you keep the sound recorder in your pocket!
The microphone does not require batteries and instead operates on the device’s power.
Professional Grade Lavalier Lapel Microphone Omnidirectional Mic
$39.39 in stock
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE LAVALIER MICROPHONE. Clear voice without noise. Produced according to well-established technology. This microphone has high quality protection from extraneous noise.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY. For Android, Cameras, Camcorders, Audio Recorders, Tablets Laptops and iPhone (adapter is not included).
- EXTRA-LONG CORD WITH EXTENSION CORD. Our clip-on microphone has 79" (2m) length cord and additional extension cord 2m included in box. Handy case for easy keeping and carrying included.
- PLUG&PLAY. No drivers needed. Just plug the mic for recording on most smartphones or cameras. TRRS to TRS 3.5 mm Jack adapter is included.
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY. Designed by PowerDeWise, lav mic gets sound recording quality to the next level. We help with any issue with the clip lav lapel microphones - just contact PowerDeWise support.